Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Full Speed Ahead!!!


Well…I guess my promises mean a lot.  I am sorry I did not post yesterday.  I am obviously off to a bad start, but let me try to catch you up. 

For the first time this year the entire Team Navy is on campus and everything is starting to pick up.  Mentorship started last week, and bible studies are starting today.  We had about one hundred and thirty students sign up for bible study this year.  That is awesome!!!  There are about four thousand students at the United States Naval Academy, so that means a little over 3% want to attend a catholic bible study.  I am not sure what the percentage is for all protestant and catholic bible studies combined, but I think we are off to a good start. 
Last night about twenty midshipmen and the FOCUS team went to the mass for Father Vincent Capodanno at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. 



Here is a little video that I got from the website of the Basilica about Father Capodanno:  http://www.vincentcapodanno.org/index.php. 

 
I almost forgot!  Every day I would walk around the yard (campus), and I would say “good morning” to midshipmen and many of them would not say anything back.  At first I thought maybe I was not saying it loud enough, so I would say it louder, but still some just looked straight and kept on walking.   So I asked some of the students about it, and they told me that people just don’t say a hello at the Naval Academy.  That was odd to me, so I started this new mission and asked some students to join me in greeting every midshipmen they passed during the day.  I admit it sometimes seemed awkward especially when there was another person every three feet.  Trust me once you get over the awkwardness it is kind of fun.  Like I said, at first they refused to say anything, but then I noticed that more would begin to say hello back.  (I was saying it loud enough.) Then this week more than half of them would actually say “good morning” and then ask how I was.  Of course it was one of those “how’s it going?” greetings that is just said, but there were at least some smiles.  I guess small things can make a difference.

I will keep you posted, but until next time GOD bless.    

No comments:

Post a Comment