Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bible Study, Bible Study, PIE!!


Okay I missed it again, but better late than never.  This is going to be way tougher than I thought.  Let me update you on the past week. 


Like I said, Wednesday was my first bible study, and honestly only one guy showed up.  Yeah…bummer.  It was actually Robby from Dallas and was in my TOBET study last year.  I did not know he was coming until this summer when I found out I was going to the Naval Academy.  I think it was one of those special gifts the Lord gave to me to show me I was in the right place.  So I told Robby to come the next night. 

 Thursday night was better.  Robby came back and two other midshipmen attended as well.  The study went great!  I asked if they liked it and they said, “Yeah!  I am totally coming back!”  I was glad to hear that, especially since it was the first bible study I have ever lead.  The group also decided to move to Thursday nights, because it was easier for their schedule.  I did not mind that considering the Wednesday night studies did not happen and it is at the same place, so if anyone else showed up Wednesday night then it would still work. 

On Friday the FOCUS team went to DC as a bonding event.  We took the metro and travelled to the mall.  I don’t know why it is called that, but it was a lot bigger than I expected.  We saw the white house and congress.  We even saw the president driving around in his limo, twice. 


I think my favorite day was when we took the student leaders to the Anne Arundel county fair.  The reason we did this was to help form a catholic community and help them to bond.  We have strong individuals, but we are trying to make them feel part of a community.  It was probably the best small county fair I have been to.  That is saying a lot considering I am from Texas.  I have been to some state fairs that are also great, but this small fair had everything.  It had rides, racing pigs, bears, a pie eating contest, and much more.  A lot of us entered the pie eating contest, and it was so much fun.  It was a dollar to enter, and they would place everyone around a table and give us a quarter of a pie.  Then we would race to finish all of our pie on our plate, but the catch was that we could not use our hands.  It was a mess!!!  The really funny part was that we were more than half the competition, but not one of us even placed. 


This past Tuesday the midshipmen finally had another Catholic Midshipmen Club meeting.  There were about three weeks of scheduling conflicts, so there had not been a meeting for a while.  FOCUS missionaries always go to help out and talk to midshipmen afterwards. 

Then tonight was the second bible study, and five midshipmen came.  Well, actually for the last two minutes a random midshipman came and sat with us.  I thought it was a joke at first, but he was serious.  I could tell he was not catholic (The easiest way to tell when someone is not catholic is when we pray and they don’t do the sign of the cross), but he did not care, and I was glad to have him, so I invited him to next week’s study.  I will let you know if he comes. 

That was the week.  It was pretty full, but I enjoy those weeks, and I know the Lord is moving hearts and saving souls. 

 

P.S.  In the pie eating contest I got second place out of our group.  It is really hard to eat pie when it is stuck to a plate and you can’t use your hands, especially when you have big teeth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment